Wednesday, July 30, 2008

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION #3

Q: Which continents have you already done and where are you going next?

A: This is, of course, the most common question I get regarding the seven marathons quest we’re on. Our first continent was Europe. Five years ago, Bill asked me to take a three week trip with him to visit the Czech Republic. He’d made some contact with distant relatives and invited me to tag along and, oh, how about we run a marathon while we’re there???

I insisted on a walk/run routine for that first marathon in Prague. It hurt like hell anyhow, and I wasn’t convinced I’d ever “run” another marathon. Four years (two dogs and a marriage license) later, Bill called me at work and suggested we divert our summer vacation plans to Australia so we could run a little race with only 31 participants. I’d always wanted to go to Australia, so I agreed. It was while I was training for this Australian marathon that I really got on board with the idea of running seven marathons on seven continents. I still wasn’t in love with running (that’s only started to happen this summer), but I started to get the hang of it, to see and appreciate the ways it was teaching me about myself and about life. That’s why, shortly after we got back from Australia, I started training for a marathon on North America and writing about the Seven Marathons project. Bill had already completed several full marathons here at home, so he supported me in my training for the Whidbey Island Marathon, which I completed a few months ago (as chronicled below).

As I said, this summer I’ve had a shift in my running. Even after the Whidbey race, I still felt that I would enjoy the traveling more than the marathoning. I also felt that, although I knew I would be a runner the rest of my life, I would probably only do the seven full marathons and then I’d stick to shorter races and running on the trails around my home. This summer, however, Bill and I decided to take a trip. We wanted to spend some time on a beach someplace inexpensive and warm, so we started to look at Central America and guess what? Panama has a marathon in August!

I took a look at the map and tried to barter Panama into South America, but it wouldn’t go. Nope, Panama is Central America. That’s not one of the continents – and yet I found myself wanting to run there. So I started to train and found that my pace had quickened and my legs were strong and I was looking forward to my morning runs. We’re off in a few days to Panama; we run on August 10th. It’s the rainy (and hot) season there now – should be an interesting experience.

As for our other races, we have a tentative plan to complete three of the four remaining marathons in 2009. On January 25th, we plan to run the Tateyama Wakashio Marathon in Bellingham’s sister city in Japan. Then in June, we’re hoping to take a whirlwind trip ticking off two more continents: The Mt. Kilimanjaro Marathon in Tanzania in mid June and either Rio de Janeiro (at the end of June, 2009) or the Sao Paulo Marathon (at the beginning of June) in Brazil. The exact dates on these marathons are yet to be announced. We’ve chosen these races based mostly on their likely or proposed dates and because they’re in locations we’d both like to visit.

As you might imagine, planning this kind of international travel is a huge undertaking, and several things need to fall in place for us to be able to pull it off. We’ll have to get time off of work, squeeze a bunch of money out of a tight budget, get Yellow Fever shots and get into damn good shape. But what fun! What adventure!

Now, you’ll be counting on your fingers at this point and you’ll shortly realize that I have named only six continents (plus one extra marathon in Central America). So the next question is always, “What’s the deal with Antarctica? Is there really a marathon there?” And the answer is yes, but it’s not a simple yes. As far as we can tell based on our research (and if anyone out there has more information, let me know), there are a couple of tour groups that organize marathon experiences on the great icy continent and they aren’t easy to sign up for because they book up quickly. They’re expensive, too, so we’re saving Antarctica for last, but I promise to keep you posted when we have firm plans.

Next question?

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

wow.. great site! what a fantastic way to spend your time! I cant wait to read what you have accomplished so far.. but for now.. I must go get my morning run in.
I found you through a search for marathons... I am training for my very first. :)
hope you day is very blessed!
happy running

ruthie
www.mybodmod.blogspot.com

Don Kern said...

You came up on my google alerts! Best of luck on doing all the continents! I've done both the Antaractica marathons--and they're both great. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

My seven continents journey (at least the last two circuits) is documented at www.cooladventures.net/sevencontinents.htm.

and the adventure continues....
Don Kern

Anonymous said...

Cami, it is great to see what you have been doing. Wonderful to see your name in my inbox. I am training for another marathon right now and can share your blood, sweat, and tears victory of crossing the finish line. Hope all is well,

Angie Dunnett