Saturday, March 20, 2010

KGI, Antarctica

I am in a hostel in Puerto Natales at this moment. Bill and I are getting ready to visit Torres del Paine, a famous national park here in Chile. There are other residents of the hostel breathing down my neck waiting to use this computer, but they´ll have to wait because I need to tell everyone that we´re back from King George Island, Antarctica!

We arrived in Antarctica by plane at about 1.30pm and immediately climbed aboard a Zodiac (boat) which took us on a tour by water to a blue, glistening glacier that chinked and cracked as we sat in silence watching it. Then we visited a Gentoo Penguin colony of over 10,000 couples (these penguins mate for life). We watched them howl at one another, mourn over the bodies of dead partners and waddle to and fro circumventing the large fur seal that was scratching his back on the rocks at the beach.

While we were at the colony I had a chat with Alejo, our amazing guide, and told him we had a dream of taking a run on KGI. I´ll tell you what he said and all that transpired throughout the evening (including my friendship with two Russian fellows who debated the unfortunte lack of a perfect translation for the ¨F¨word in a particular American joke) when I get back. Suffice it to say for now that I did not come away from my experience in Antarctica disappointed.

Love to all. Stay tuned.
Cami

8 comments:

Brooke Warner said...

Awesome. Excited to hear more updates and definitely staying tuned! Glad it's all going well and thinking about you!

Unknown said...

Nice update - looking forward to hearing more. Play safe!

Unknown said...

Great to hear. Rest well, Breathe deep, Stretch loosely, be kind to self, love each other with mutuality and do laugh lots:)
cheers.

Benita said...

WAHOO!!!!!!

Jason "J-Dizzle" Toews said...

Antarctica fascinates and terrifies me in equal measure. Can't wait to hear the details, pal. Keep yourself safe!

Unknown said...

Great to hear from you!! Can't wait for the details. See you soon.

Unknown said...

great to hear you made it! Bronte (spelling?) misses you but is doing great as does her quiet friend

deb said...

I definitely think you should include the Russian's mailman joke... :)
Can't wait to buy the book, lady!!